Homemade Turkey Sausage
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
SERVINGS: 2 servings of 3 patties each
This recipe for turkey sausage is simple to make and can be stored for later use. You can enjoy this recipe with breakfast or eat with a salad for an easy meal. This is a great recipe to make in bulk for breakfast or snacks for the week
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil*, plus more for frying
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ tsp. ground allspice
- 1 cayenne pepper
- 1 ¾ lb. ground turkey
30 G of Protein
35 G of Fat
10 G of Carbs
*NOTE: Bellucci Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a good option to purchase. Make sure to store oil in a cool, dry place.
1. Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and just beginning to color about 5 minutes.
3. Cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and just beginning to color -- about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the sage, thyme, parsley, allspice, and cayenne pepper and continue to cook for another minute.
5. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
6. When the aromatics are cool, place the turkey in a mixing bowl.
7. Add the cooled onion mixture and stir to blend completely.
8. To tesr for proper seasoning, form a tsp. full of the mixture into a tiny patty and fry it in a bit of olive oil over medium heat until just cooked through.
9. Taste and, if necessary, season the remaining raw mix with additional salt, pepper, herbs and/or cayenne.
10. Using your hands, form the raw mixture into 6 patties of equal size.
11. If you’re not ready to cook them, place them in a resealable plastic bag separated by small sheets of waxed paper, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. (If frozen, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.)
12. When ready to cook, heat a slick of olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
13. Add the patties and fry, turning occasionally, until cooked through and brown, about 10 minutes (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 165°F).
14. Serve and enjoy!