“Let food be thy medicine and medicine by thy food” – Hippocrates
Introduction to AliRx
AliRx (previously the Cognitive Health and Wellness Institute) was created with one goal in mind – to transform your health by reducing your body’s inflammation thus allowing your body to work for itself, not against itself. We believe that food is medicine, and our approach is here to arm you with the right foods to ignite a transformative health process within you.
The foundation of our program for you is based on scientific evidence that your gut health can lead to the prevention and possible reversal of symptoms related to nearly every autoimmune disease and neurodegenerative disease. Although it’s important to catch it earlier, or better yet, stop it from ever happening, it is never too late.
It is important that as we start, we provide a simple explanation of what gut health means. Simply put, gut health is measured by the types of bacteria that live within your digestive system. A healthy gut, just like a healthy body, works like a well oiled machine. But if your gut health is not well, it can lead to a lot of issues, far beyond what most have ever known. The great thing about focusing on gut health is, it can be the answer to many of your unknown health issues, or areas of discomfort and concern that you may have had.
With that in mind, did you know that gut health is linked to nearly every single autoimmune disease diagnosed, and is also linked to a large majority of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons?
Now that we have discussed the premise for our transformative program, we will now go into the process for you. Our premise is, healing your gut will heal your body, and even your brain.
Even if you don’t have a formal diagnosis, the AliRx plan is intended to help you prevent down-the-road issues or health concerns from ever happening. However, equally as important, this program will help you function at a higher level, by transforming your health.
To describe our program, it is important to first describe the system that is at work when it comes to pain and discomfort that is often caused by inflammation. Inflammation starts in your gut. The simplest way to describe inflammation is, it is your body’s natural response to attack unnatural responses in your body.
For example, when you skin your knee, that pain that you feel throbbing is your body’s inflammatory response to that skinned knee. It is calling healing agents to the injury, thus speeding up the healing process. This process is painful but natural. However, chronic systemic inflammation is not healthy, and can lead to your body’s inability to fight off other diseases, such as this listed above.
How does inflammation happen, and what effect does it have on our body and our brain?
The inflammatory process explained
- Your gut microbiome consists of millions of types of bacteria, some good and some bad.
- When your gut microbiome bacteria is off balance, it causes bad bacteria to permeate your gut lining, often called leaky gut syndrome.
- As this bacteria enters your body, your body signals healing agents to fight off the bad bacteria. These healing agents are the inflammation in your body. Acute inflammation is your body’s way of fighting off things in your body that could cause harm. However, a perpetual leaky gut will cause your body to be chronically or continuously inflamed, which eventually causes your body to work against itself.
- When your body is working against itself, things happen systemically that will lead to a higher likelihood of the onset of certain diseases. Some of these diseases are behind the protective mechanism of your brain (the blood brain barrier) and some of them are before it. Those that are before it are likely the cause of autoimmune diseases and those that are behind it, and in the brain are likely the cause of neurodegenerative disease such as mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer’s disease.
- When your body’s chronic inflammatory properties slowly beat against your blood brain barrier, over time, the barrier is permeated, causing inflammation in your brain.
- Over time, this inflammation in your brain can cause protein build up, or even plaque. This plaque serves as the beginning stages of mild cognitive impairment, which is the precursor to Alzheimers’ disease.
- Even if the permeation of the brain barrier does not take place, this inflammation will wreak havoc on your body, leading to the cause of chronic pain, as well as almost every autoimmune disease.
Now that we have explained how this inflammatory process can cause a number of issues in your body, we will now focus on the AliRx philosophy, and then the solution.
Check out our next blog this week for a detailed explanation about how we will help you transform your health.