Regular social interaction has a positive impact on brain health. People who socialize frequently tend to have an elevated sense of well-being! On the other hand, people who socialize infrequently tend to have elevated levels of stress and inflammation which can negatively impact the brain’s well-being.
We recommend having positive social interactions every day.
At a loss for ways to become more social? Try one or two of the following:
- Call a friend or family member you haven’t spoken to in a while
- Sign up for a class and learn something new
- Volunteer for your favorite charity or a fun event in your area
- Invite people over for a game night
- Grab a friend and go to the gym or a museum
- Join a club for your favorite hobby
- Attend church services
- Weekly Bingo games
- Trips to the grocery store
- Cultural outings (museums, theatres, shopping, etc.)
- Book clubs
Whatever you choose to do, the goal should be to get out of your room or house and experience the world around you, even if just for a few moments each day.
Did you know? Having a pet that you form a strong connection with can also provide socialization benefits.